Jos Reayer (who signed the certificate below) was headmaster from the beginning.
Ashburton Secondary School, originally a boarding house for the Grammar School,* came into existence in 1958. Until that time pupils stayed at the Elementary School until they either left to go to a Grammar School (Totnes or Newton Abbot once the Ashburton Grammar School had closed), or left to start work.
*opened 1928 - Guide to Ashburton, undated but between 1930 and 1935
School leaving ages
1918 Fisher Act - standard leaving age of 14
1947 - raised to 15
1972 - raised to 16