People and Properties 1800s
The following are in the Devon Heritage Centre (formerly the Devon Record Office), filed under Chudleigh Parish ref 3009A-99
For more information go to http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/
William Harding 1811
Now in Chudleigh, born in Sampford Courtenay........ he went to Ashburton to William Skinner by the year for 2 terms...
Removals to Ashburton:
Jane Jewell, singlewoman 1814
William Winsor 1807
Now in Chudleigh, born in Modbury ........ went to Mr Thomas Brown in Ashburton as a waiter .......got married in Chudleigh
John Macey, horsekeeper 1823
Now in Chudleigh, born in Buckfastleigh.........went to Ashburton and served Edward Bovey, esq for a year, then went to Thomas Cousins at the Golden Lion by the week........... he married in Chudleigh
John Lear, shoemaker 1829
Born in Chudleigh, ......... went to Ashburton and lived in lodgings and worked for different masters for 7 ½ years when he got married in Ashburton......
See the Rich and Poor section for more settlement examinations
On the 16th August 1819 the local Yeomanry, backed by Hussars, charged at a peaceful crowd who had gathered in what is now St. Peter's Square, Manchester. Their task was to arrest the speakers, who were protesting against poverty and advocating democracy, but the violent over-reaction of the troops resulted in 18 deaths and over 700 people being seriously injured. It became known as the Peterloo Massacre.
Image by Richard Carlile (1790–1843) (Manchester Library Services) Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
See Famous Ashburtonians for more on Richard Carlile.
Staffordshire Advertiser 2 October 1819, p3 col1
The residents were as follows:
Robert Abraham jun, solicitor
Chas. Dyke Acland, lieut. RN
Charles Aldrich, clerk
George Bale, exciseman
Richard Berry, merchant
James Bidgood, stocking-weaver
Edward Bovey, gentleman
Thomas Brown, gentleman
John Bryant, currier
C B Calmady Esq.
John Caunter, merchant
John Caunter jun, merchant
Richard Caunter, merchant
James Chalker, machine-maker
Thomas Cousins, innkeeper
William Cuming, captain RN
George Drake, magistrate for the county
John Eales, mercer
James Easterbrook jun, yeoman
Joseph Fitze, sadler
Thomas Foaden, innkeeper
George Gervis, gentleman
Henry Gervis, surgeon
Henry Gervis jun, surgeon
Joseph Gribble, solicitor
John Hannaford, stationer
William Hern, tanner
James Hext, gentleman
William Hill, captain RN
Richard Honywill, merchant
William Hurst, sergemaker
Edward Husson, innkeeper
James Langdon, gentleman
William Lloyd, lieut. RN
Benjamin Luscombe, builder
Jonathan Luscombe, innkeeper
John Vere Mann, tanner
John Matterface, gentleman
Jeffery Michelmore, gentleman
Jeff_ry Michelmore jun, gentleman
James Mogridge, Portreeve
W Palk Mogridge, solicitor
Sampson Nankivell, surveyor
Thomas Norrish, baker
Jonathan Palk, clerk
Robt. Palk, magistrate for the county
Christopher Preston, innkeeper
Thomas Smerdon, cordwainer
Thomas Smerdon jun, cordwainer
Walter Soper Esq.
Peter F Sparke, merchant
John Templer jun, clerk
William Terry, gentleman
Solomon Tozer, merchant
Solomon Tozer jun, merchant
John White, clerk
John Winsor Esq.
Joseph Widger, mercer
George Wills, gentleman
James Woodley Esq.
Peter Wotton, cordwainer
Philip Wootton, builder
Exeter Flying Post 2 December 1819 p1 cols 4,5
In 1827 various 'valuable property' was for sale at the Golden Lion.
They were: Bowden Hill Field, tenant Mr Stentiford
Little Field, Great Close, Long Close, Outerfield, Vicarage Bench, Late Ealesfield, otherwise Atwills, tenant Mr Easterbrook
Square Park, tenant Mr Sanders
Sladers Park, tenant Mr Pearce
Long Hill, tenant Mr Ford
Screeches Field, tenant Mr Mardon
Little Headborough, tenant Mr King
Cabbage Close, tenant Mr Foaden
French's Park, tenant Mr Smerdon
Higher Roborough and Lower Roborough, tenant Mr Lukey
Nursery, Reeves Meadow, George's Meadow, Balland Park, Leanyhill Field and Alston Lane Close, tenant the proprietor
Close in Alston Lane, tenant Mrs King
Another Close in Alston Lane, tenant Mr Leaman
Dwelling house and offices in East Street, tenant Mrs Searle
Reversion of a moiety of a house, stables and gardens in Lawrence's Lane, tenant Mr Luscombe
In addition there was leasehold property for sale;
Rew Fulling Mills and Rew Causeway, tenant or occupier Messrs. Caunter
Alstone Meadow and Hurstsclose, t or o the proprietor
Lang's Close, t or o Mr Stentiford
Tea Close, lately Mr Bearns (sp?)
Rack Park, t or o Mr Leaman
Lucey's Meadow, t or o Mr Lukey
Parish Land Field, lately Mr Bear
Tweenaways, t or o Mr Smerdon
New Park, t or o Mr Skinner
Buthills, t or o Mr Sanders
Leanyhill Field, lately Mr Bearns
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, 6 January 1827, p1 cols 3/4
In 1828 five cottages had just been built at Crokaton, and were for sale by auction. They had gardens in front and an orchard at the end, and were currently occupied by Mr Philp, Mr Ellis, Mr Popplestone, Mr Standbury, Mr Woodley and others. With the property came an entitlement to vote for the Ashburton members of parliament.
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 23 February 1828, p1 col3
A tenement called Reeves in North Street was up for sale in 1831. A house occupied by Mr Tuckerman was part of the sale, as was a public bakehouse in Reeves Court, behind the house, occupied by Joseph Berry. Two tenements adjoining the bakehouse were included - they were occupied by William Foale - as was a house, garden, stable and orchard on Back Lane behind the tenement. George Mortimore and others occupied these premises. Purchase of the whole came with two votes for members of the borough.
The auction was to held at the Duke's Inn; the solicitors were Abraham and Kitson, Ashburton or Torquay.
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, 2 July 1831 p1 col3
The Rew Estate
1850s - A letter from home
In 1856 Sarah Honeywill sent a letter to her son William. She had written to him in March, on 'fare day', and now it was June and she hadn't heard anything from him. She is concerned, she says, that he may be unwell or has met with some misfortune – or perhaps has got married and finds 'it difficult to find time to write to your mother...'
Apparently William does at least write more than Charles – Sarah thinks he may be sorry for it in the end. Charles is probably another son – in August 1821 Charles John Honywill was baptised, the son of William Ferris Honywill and Sarah. The same parents baptised a son William Henry Honywill in May 1819.
William Ferris Honywill married Sarah Scagell in Ashburton in 1818.
Some names mentioned in the letter:
Peter had been in a bad state of health having fallen from a horse two years previously, and had died, a Mrs Eliot witnessing his last moments.
Ann Buchers of Holne had also died, a sister to Jo Bowden's wife.
Charles Baker, a carpenter had died, as had John Saunders, 'haredresser.' (Both of these are probably those deaths registered in the June quarter of 1856, Newton Abbot district). One of these was 'Susan's unkle' but it is not clear which.
Baker died without making a will, so 'the old woman only comes in for her thirds John Ireland has sold all his property.'
She asks William if he has seen John Honeywill's second son, as his brother sent for him.
'Harrises' family all went to America, as did nurse Eals.
Aunt Coombes is mentioned.
'Yong wood' has been down from London and will stay if there is work. He has done up his mother's house.
Sarah Bowden the tailor's daughter got married and has got one child.
Smerdon the currior has come home after seventeen years. This might be John Smerdon, carrier. He is on the 1861 census for Ashburton, aged 62 and living with his wife Mary. http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
'Mrs Legs Nises husband' is 'very poor'. Presumably this is Mrs Leg's (or Legg's) niece's husband.
Finally she asks whether there is likely to be 'ware' (war) in America, as reports say. This suggests that William is in America.
From a letter sold privately – not in my possession.
The Intellectual Observer, vol 3, London, 1863, p323
682 - Whiteway's Field
683 - Hill Field
765 - Meadow
766 - Great Goosepool
794 - Little Goosepool
799 - Green Park
801 - Orchard
802 - Little Field
803 - Little Field
804 - Higher Headborough house and garden etc.
526 - Higher Field
544 - Middle Field
640 - Great Holne Field
807 - Mead
808 - House and Orchard
809 - 2 cottages and yard occupied by W H Eales and Samuel Raymond
903 - Late Sparkes
905 - part rentings
684 - Plot
686 - Workman's Field
944 - Little Sparnham
912 - Goosepool
1695 - Derrick's Mead
1657 - Foster's Park
917 - Part Perrings
781 - Lanes Sherwood
787 - Lanes Sherwood
1532 and 1533 - Dwelling house and garden in East Street, occupied by Mrs Chalker.
1357 - Three dwelling houses and garden in East Street, close to Derrick's Lane, occupied by Mssrs Richards, Caunter and Dodridge.
1346 - Dwelling house and coach house with garden at rear, East Street. Occupied by Mr Yeldham.
1231 - Dwelling house in West Street, occupied by Elisha Smerdon.
The manor rents
The borough rents
Exeter Flying Post 7 July 1875 p1 col3
The tithe map for Ashburton is available from http://www.devon.gov.uk/tithemaps.htm
In June 1867 Mabel Gwendoline Hughes was baptised at St Andrew's Church. Her parents were James Victor Hughes, a Major General in the army, and his wife Elizabeth Maude. The family lived at the Knoll.
A copy of Mabel's baptism is listed in the British India Office births and baptisms, which suggests that James Victor's army career had Indian connections
Mr E Sawdye was selling furniture at the Knoll in March 1871, and a month later the house was up for let at £60. Set in an acre and 'lately occupied by General Hughes', the house had breakfast, dining and drawing rooms, a kitchen with pantry, scullery and larder, and 8 bedrooms. There was also a coach-house, stables and other outbuildings.
Western Times 17 March 1871, p8 col1
Western Times 6 April 1871, p1 col1
F Crowdy was living at the Knoll in 1872 - in June his wife gave birth to a daughter in Torquay.
A year later the house was being let again.
Western Times 14 June 1872, p5 col5
Western Morning News 9 August 1873, p1 col6
In 1876 a 'Fancy sale' was being held to pay off the debt of Widecombe Church. The sale was being held at the Knoll, by permission of J Robinson Esq. An omnibus from the town would take visitors to the Knoll from the town or the railway station for 6d, and it would cost 1s to get into the sale. Tea and coffee would be available from 4 o'clock, and there were to be games on the lawn.
Western Morning News 15 June 1876, p1 col7
By 1880 Mrs H M Firth was advertising for a housemaid and parlourmaid at the Knoll, to work for a small family.
Western Morning News 6 July 1880, p2 col1
Henry Mallaby Firth and family are at the Knoll in the 1891 census, although they are already calling it Knowle.
Advertisement for staff, Western Morning News 10 February 1887, p2 col2
A letter addressed to H M Firth in 1894 calls the house Knowle.
See Attorneys, under Banks and Businesses, for more information.
From my own collection
Western Morning News 19 September 1931, p4 col4
* The Western Times reported in 1890 that old buildings in North Street -Tudor Buildings - had been demolished and and new buildings put up in their place.
Western Times 1 April 1890 p2 col6
William Knapman, Publican and baker, Golden Fleece (this was next door to the Grammar School, to the left as you looked at the buildings, see The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton Pete Webb 1995 Obelisk Publications )
Samuel H Jewell, Smith and farrier
Sarah Ball, Grocer
William Steer, Omnibus proprietor
John B Brander
Frank W Chapman
Frederick Horner, Station View
unoccupied Bay Tree House
George Thorne, Hotel keeper, Railway Hotel, later the Silent Whistle
Charlotte Taylor, Lodging house keeper
Thomas Pascoe, Ashburton Instit
Richard Hext, Yolland Hill Farm
Mary A Elliott
John F Eales
Annie E C Foot
William H Woolacott
Elizabeth H Bennett
James Stancombe, Refreshment house keeper
W H Edgecombe, Postmaster, Post O
Amos Putt, Constitutional C
John Burston, Watchmaker and Jeweller
In the 1901 census Charles Fisher Hawken was a butler and boarding house keeper in East Street, working on his own account.